The Pavlova cake is an Australian dessert with a light, delicate, meringue base, and topped with cheese-whipped cream and fresh berries.
3 egg whites
1 pinch salt
90g powdered (confectioners') sugar
a dash of green lemon juice
For the Filling
100g cream cheese
300g heaving cream
30g orange liqueur
strawberry, raspberries and mint for decorate (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F).
2. In a a bowl, whisk the egg whites until very stiff. Add a pinch of salt, a dash of green lemon juice, then gradually whisk in the superfine sugar to make a stiff meringue mixture.
3. Place a circle pan of 20 cm (8 inch) on the parchment paper. Grease with butter and sweeten with sugar the circle. Gently spread the meringue inside the circle on the parchment paper, smoothing the edges, making sure the edges of the meringue are slightly higher than the center.
4. Bake for 1 hour or until the outside is dry and takes on a very pale cream colour. Turn the oven off, leave the door slightly open, and let the meringue cool completely in the oven.
MAKE THE FILLING
5. Cream the cheese cream with the having cream and liqueur in a bowl. Set aside.
6. Place the meringue onto a serving plate. Sweeten with the sugar and vanilla. Spread the whipped cream into the center of the meringue. Arrange sliced strawberries on top of the cream. Serve immediately as this dessert does not hold for more than a few hours.
“A recipe has no soul. You, as the cook, must bring soul to the recipe."― Thomas Keller