This irresistible Margarita Cheesecake features a crushed pretzel base, a creamy lime filling scented with orange liqueur and boozy tequila, and a layer of tangy sour cream with strawberries on top.
It's a wonderful sweet and tangy dessert, perfect for spring and summer celebrations.
Prep. Time: Bake Time: Total Time: Serves:
25 min 55 min 1h 15 min 8
For the Crust
1 1/4 cup ground pretzels or graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
For the Filling
225g (8-ounce) cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sour cream
3/4 cup, plus 2 Tbsp sugar
3 1/2 Tbsp Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur (Cointreau)
3 1/2 Tbsp tequila
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
3 large eggs
For the Topping
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp grated lime zest
For the Garnish
thinly sliced strawberries
one lime slice, optional
Make the Crust
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line the bottom of a 9 inch (25 cm) springform pan with parchment paper. Butter the parchment, as well as the sides of the springform. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the pretzels and sugar. Add the melted butter and toss with a fork until well combined. Transfer the mixture to the springform pan and evenly cover the sides and bottom of the pan with crumbs. Bake for 6 minutes, then remove and set aside.
Make the Filling
3. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth. Gradually mix in the sour cream until smooth. Add in the sugar and beat until well combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the lime juice, tequila and Grand Marnier until just combined. Pour the filling over the cooked crust.
4. To minimize cracking, place springform pan in a large backing pan on the bottom rack of the oven. Add 2.5 cm (1 inch) of hot water to larger pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the center is set. Turn the oven off and prop the door open about 4 inches. Let the cheesecake stand 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool 10 minutes. Carefully remove the sides of the pan and let cool to room temperature on the rack.
Make the Topping
5. In a medium bowl, whisk sour cream, lime juice, lime peel and sugar. Spread evenly over the cooled cheesecake. Arrange sliced strawberries and a slice of lime on the topping for garnish.
An optimist is the human personification of spring. – Susan J. Bissonette