Embark on a culinary journey with the Raspberry Vacherin—a dessert that effortlessly blends the crisp sweetness of meringue with the lusciousness of orange-flavored cream cheese and the burst of freshness from ripe raspberries.
Meringue Magic: Begin by creating a cloud-like meringue, achieved by whipping up three large egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold in superfine sugar and finely chopped almonds, creating a symphony of textures that will form the delicate base of your dessert.
Creamy Orange Bliss: For the filling, concoct a dreamy mixture of cream cheese, honey, and the zesty notes of Cointreau liqueur. Introduce the velvety richness of ricotta to the blend, creating a smooth, citrus-infused cream that will harmonize with the raspberries.
Assembling the Vacherin: Spread the enchanting cream cheese mixture over the meringue, creating layers of flavor and texture. Generously scatter fresh raspberries, their vibrant hues promising a burst of fruity delight with every bite.
A Touch of Elegance: Dust the creation with a light shower of powdered sugar for a touch of sweetness and elegance. Optionally, adorn with additional raspberries and mint leaves, turning your dessert into a visual masterpiece.
Indulge your guests in the symphony of flavors and textures that is Raspberry Vacherin—a show-stopping dessert that elevates any dinner party to a culinary celebration.
For the Meringue
3 large egg whites
150g (3/4 cup) superfine sugar
1 tsp chopped almonds
For the Filling
170g (3/4 cup) cream cheese
3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp Cointreau liqueur or other orange liqueur
125g (1/2 cup) ricotta
250g (8 oz) raspberries
powdered (confectioners') sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F). Draw an 20 cm (8 inch) circle on two pieces of non-stick parchment paper. Turn the paper over so the marking is on the under-side and use it to line two heavy baking sheets.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until very stiff. Gradually whisk in the superfine sugar to make a stiff meringue mixture.
3. Spoon the mixture onto the circles on the prepared baking sheets, spreading the meringue evenly to the edges. Sprinkle one meringue round with the chopped almonds.
4. Bake for 1 -1 1/2 hours or until crisp and dry. Carefully lift the meringue rounds of the baking sheets. Peel away the paper and cool the meringues on a wire rack.
MAKE THE FILLING
5. In a bowl, cream the soft cheese with the honey and liqueur. Gradually fold in the ricotta cheese and the raspberries, reserving some berries for decoration.
6. Place the first meringue (almond meringue) on a serving plate. Spread the ricotta mixture over meringue; top with sliced strawberries. Top with the second meringue. Dust with powdered sugar. Decorate with fresh raspberries and mint.
7. Serve immediately, or chill up to 2 hours. Cut with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
A recipe has no soul. You, as the cook, must bring soul to the recipe. ― Thomas Keller