Meringue filled with orange-flavored cream cheese and fresh raspberries make this a perfect dinner party dessert.
For the Meringue
3 large egg whites
150g (3/4 cup) superfine sugar
1 tsp chopped almonds
For the Filling
170g (3/4 cup) cream cheese
3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp Cointreau liqueur or other orange liqueur
125g (1/2 cup) ricotta
250g (8 oz) raspberries
powdered (confectioners') sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F). Draw an 20 cm (8 inch) circle on two pieces of non-stick parchment paper. Turn the paper over so the marking is on the under-side and use it to line two heavy baking sheets.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until very stiff. Gradually whisk in the superfine sugar to make a stiff meringue mixture.
3. Spoon the mixture onto the circles on the prepared baking sheets, spreading the meringue evenly to the edges. Sprinkle one meringue round with the chopped almonds.
4. Bake for 1 -1 1/2 hours or until crisp and dry. Carefully lift the meringue rounds of the baking sheets. Peel away the paper and cool the meringues on a wire rack.
MAKE THE FILLING
5. In a bowl, cream the soft cheese with the honey and liqueur. Gradually fold in the ricotta cheese and the raspberries, reserving some berries for decoration.
6. Place the first meringue (almond meringue) on a serving plate. Spread the ricotta mixture over meringue; top with sliced strawberries. Top with the second meringue. Dust with powdered sugar. Decorate with fresh raspberries and mint.
7. Serve immediately, or chill up to 2 hours. Cut with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
“A recipe has no soul. You, as the cook, must bring soul to the recipe."― Thomas Keller