Berries make a colourful and tasty addition to this beautiful berry mascarpone roll.
For the Syrup
50 g sugar
100 ml water
1 Tbsp Kirch or Grand Marnier Liqueur
For the Biscuit
4 large eggs
120 g sugar
80 g flour
40 g of almond flour - powder
For the Mascarpone Cream
500 g mascarpone
90 g sugar
2 gelatin sheets
1 tsp Vanilla extract
500 g fresh mixed berries. divided (350g for the cream + 150g to decorate)
fresh mixed berries
1 tsp Vanilla sugar
Icing sugar (powder sugar)
1. In a small bowl, put the gelatin sheets in cold water, and let them soak for about 10 minutes, until it becomes soft.
MAKE THE SYRUP
2. In a saucepan bring to a boil, 50 g sugar and 100 ml water. Let cool. Add Kirsch or Kirch or Grand Marnier Liqueur
MAKE THE MASCARPONE CREAM
3. In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons water with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Remove from heat, Gently squeeze the water out of the gelatin sheets, and add it in saucepan, Stir well until the gelatin has dissolved.
4. In a bowl, beat the mascarpone and sugar until smooth. Stir the dissolved gelatin in. Refrigerate.
MAKE THE BISCUIT
5. Preheat the oven to 160 °C (320 °F). Butter a 38 x 25-cm (15 x 10-inch) baking sheet and line with baking paper.
6. In a bowl mix flour and almond flour. Set aside.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until pale and fluffy.
8. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
9. Stir one third of the egg whites into the yolk to loosen. Fold in another third, working gently with a spatula to lift the mixture and keep it from deflating. Repeat with the remaining third. Using a spatula, gently fold the flour mixture into egg mixture to combine.
10. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and level the surface with a spatula. Bake in the middle of the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until the top of the cake is golden. Don't over-bake or it will be hard to roll.
11. Meanwhile, run a clean kitchen towel under running water and wring it thoroughly so it is just moist.
12. Right out of the oven, top the cake with the moist kitchen towel, and flip the pan. Remove lining baking paper.
13. Brush the cake with the syrup. Roll the cake in the towel (from the narrow side) along its length. Let cool completely.
ASSEMBLE THE ROLL
14. Carefully, unroll the cake. Spread a third of the mascarpone cream over biscuit, leaving a 1 cm border on all sides. Arrange the berries on top, gently form it into a cake roll. Starting from 1 short end, roll up biscuit, using paper, to form a Swiss roll. Wrap paper firmly around roll to secure. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until well chilled.
15. Using a palette knife, spread the top and sides of the roll with the remaining mascarpone cream. Decorate with the remaining berries, dust with powder (icing) sugar and serve.
“Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.''= Mark Twain