de Feli Chic'Cuisine
There is a wonderful harmony of flavors in this tart! In addition to being easy to prepare, it is also delicious. With its buttery, crunchy crust and coconut flavor, this tart is layered with fragrant nectarine slices and a beaten egg, and coconut flakes filling, topped with butter. This dessert is perfectly balanced by the coconut aroma of the shortcrust pastry and the sweetness and fragrance of the nectarine. This is an absolute must-try!
Why nectarines and not peaches?
The two fruits are nutritionally similar, containing comparable amounts of natural sugars, fiber and micronutrients. Both types of fruit are sweet and aromatic, the differences being less noticeable. While nectarines have smooth skin, without fuzz, and a sweet-sour flavor in general, peaches are covered with a fine peach fuzz and are much sweeter. When cooked, peaches have a softer texture, and nectarines retain a firm texture. That's why I prefer to use nectarines in this tart recipe, but peaches can also be used very well. If you opt for peaches, try to use firmer peaches, not very ripe.
Prep. Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 45 min
For the Base
150g plain flour
100g coconut powder
3 tablespoons superfine sugar
1 pinch salt
125g butter, plus 15g for pie plate
1 large egg, slightly beaten
For the Filling
6 ripe nectarines
2 large eggs (free range)
4 tablespoons (50g) superfine sugar
50g coconut flakes
1. In a large bowl mix the flour, coconut, sugar and salt. Add the cubed butter. Using your hands flake the flour mixture and butter together, until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Add the egg and toss until dough forms a ball. Wrap the dough in parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350°F). Grease a 23 cm (9 inch) pie pan. Place the pastry dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll the dough into a 30 cm (12-inch) circle. Using the paper, easy lay it inside the pie pan. Gently press the edges into the sides of the pan. Prick the bottom with a fork. Place in the fridge.
3. Peel the nectarines and cut them into strips. Place them over the bottom of the pastry. Bake for 10 minutes.
Prepare the Filling
4. In a medium bawl, beat the eggs and sugar until foamy. Add the coconut flakes and mix well. Pour the mixture over nectarine. Sprinkle with dots of butter and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden-brown. Cool slightly before serving.
5. Decorate with nectarine slices and coconut flakes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or Crème Fraîche, if desired.
Taste, which enables us to distinguish all that has a flavor from that which is insipid.― Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin