by Feli Chic'Cuisine
This pasta salad tossed with leek and crispy bacon is flavorful, nutritious, easy to prepare, and totally delicious. The crisp cooked bacon really adds a nice flavor. They're perfect as a weeknight dinner, simple lunch or a side dish. Made with simple ingredients, this recipe comes together in under 25 minutes!
Pasta and Leek are an incredibly versatile ingredients. Leeks has less intensity than onions, it is delicate and much sweeter. Traditionally, the white part and the green middle are eaten, due to the texture. The greener part and the leaves being more fibrous and tougher.
Tips for choosing and cooking pasta
It is preferred to prepare salads with cut pasta, such as: macaroni, penne pasta, rotini, farfalle, gemelli, or even orecchiette.
Once you have chosen the type of pasta, remember these three tips:
1. The pasta must be boiled in salty water. Pasta loses its flavor when served cold. Salting the water with more salt will ensure the pasta is well seasoned when you serve it.
2. The pasta should be cooked al dente. They are more tender and firm when you eat them because they don't become sticky.
Total Time: 20 min
250g (9 oz) pasta
3 leeks, whites only
2 tbsp olive oil
200g (7 oz) bacon
salt and black pepper
1. Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water following pack instructions, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
2. Clean the leeks, removing the dark green parts, and cut them into finely rounds. In a skillet, over medium heat, fry the leeks gently until soft. Transfer leeks to a bowl. Set aside.
3. In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, place bacon and fry until cooked and crisp - no fat added.
4. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, leeks and bacon to make the salad. Season with salt and pepper.
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of the human race than the discovery of a star.― Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
*All Photographs on Feli Chic'Cuisine, signed Feli Chic'Cuisine are copyrighted.