by Feli Chic'Cuisine
This seasonal baked Pumpkin Caramel Ginger Cheesecake is the perfect way to celebrate autumn. Deliciously, it comes with a creamy, slightly spiced filling enhanced with seasonal spices, a crunchy ginger base, and caramel sauce to give it a sublime flavour.
The flavors of autumn blend harmoniously in a baked cheesecake with cream cheese mixed with pumpkin puree, on a base of ginger biscuits.
Tips for Recipe Success
1. Use homemade pumpkin puree. Making your own puree is healthier and the texture and flavour is so much better.
2. Use full fat cream cheese. Using full fat cream cheese will help the cheesecake stay firm and help it slice cleanly for serving.
3. Set the cheesecake in the fridge. Once the cheesecake has been removed from the oven, it should be allowed to cool to room temperature before being put in the fridge until it has firmed up, or ideally overnight in the fridge.
The pie is done when the sides begin to puff but the center will be slightly wobbly. It will set as it cools. Careful not to overcook! Overcooking it will cause the filling to crack.
Prep Time 25 min
Bake Time 1 hour 10 min.
Cool Time 2 hours
For the Base
400g ginger biscuits
130g unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling
500g pumpkin puree, homemade or canned
650g cream cheese (Philadelphia) - full fat cream cheese
2 tbsp cornflower
200g light brown sugar (or caster/granulated sugar)
4 large eggs
200ml double cream (heavy cream/whipping cream)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 fine sea salt
caramel sauce, to serve
Prepare the biscuit base
1. Grease and line with parchment paper a 23 cm (9-in.) springform pan. Wrap the outside with 2 sheets of foil - up the sides. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Set aside.
2. In a food procesor, mix the ginger biscuits to a fine crumb. Or, place the biscuits in a large ziplock bag and crush it with a rolling pin into fine crumb. Mix in the melted butter, then evenly press into the prepared pan. so it comes a few centimetres up to the sides. Refrigerate until prepare the filling.
Prepare the filling
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/ gas mark 4 ). In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, put the cream cheese, cornflour, and sugar. Beat until smooth and light. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, pumpkin puree and double (whipping\heavy cream) until smooth. Mix in vanilla, ginger and salt. Pour in the prepared pan.
4. Put the springform pan in a high-sided roasting pan, then carefully, pour boiling water into the roasting pan so that it comes almost halfway up the sides - don't get any on the cheesecake.
5. Bake for 1 hour, until golden-brown; the cake is just set and the sides begin to puff but the center will be slightly wobbly.
6. Turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and allow the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven, cool to room temperature, then put in the fridge until firm up or ideally, overnight.
7. Warm the caramel sauce and drizzle over the cheesecake.
“Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.” John Lennon