by Feli Chic'Cuisine
With flavourful cardamom spice and crispy pistachios, Pistachio Lemon Cake offers classic Middle Eastern flavours. Pistachios are ground and mixed into flour to create a lightly coloured cake with a nutty flavour and a perfect texture. To add a tangy touch, the cake is soaked in lemon syrup and covered with lemon icing.
This Pistachios Lemon Cake is moist, slightly dense, nutty, and hearty full of pistachios and lemon flavour.
What is cardamom?
Cardamom is a spice made from the seed pods of the cardamom plant, a close relative to ginger and turmeric, that is native to South India.
In addition to its complex aroma, cardamom has a fruity, almost menthol-like flavour. It is slightly astringent if used in excess. It pairs beautifully with citrus and can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes.
Cardamom and pistachios are a delightful combination, and this is the perfect recipe for spring.
I love how this cake almost melts in your mouth and you'll want to make it all the time.
Prep. Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 45 min
Cool Time: 10 min
Total Time: 1 h 05 min
Serves: 10 slices
200g / 7oz plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
150g / 5.3oz caster (granulated) sugar
90g / 2.8oz unsalted pistachios
8 cardamom pods, crushed
1 lemon, juice and zest
80ml / 2.7fl.oz vegetable oil
200ml / 6.8fl.oz almond milk / oat milk / soya milk
For the Syrup
70g / 2.5oz caster (granulated) sugar
1 lemon, juice
For the Glaze
130g / 4.6oz / 1 cup icing (powdered) sugar
1 lemon, juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C ( 350°F / 4 gas mark). Line a loaf tin 23x13 cm (9x5 inch) with baking paper. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, pulse pistachios into crumbs. Measure out 1 tablespoon and reserve for decorating.
3. Add grounded pistachios, cardamom, lemon zest and juice, oil and almonds milk (oat/soya milk) to the flour mixture, and gently fold them together. Only mix until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle come out clean.
Prepare the Syrup
5. In a small bowl, add the icing (powdered) sugar and lemon juice. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Using a toothpick, prick holes in the top of the cake. Pour the syrup on top. Let to cool for 30 minutes. Transfer the cake onto a cutting board to cool completely.
Prepare the Glaze
6. Combine icing (powdered) sugar with lemon juice, and stir until thick. Once the cake is completely cooled, coat with icing and top with crushed pistachios. Let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
The beautiful spring came, and when nature resumes her loveliness, the human soul is apt to revive also. - Harriet Ann Jacobs