by Feli Chic'Cuisine
Every bite of this delicious cake contains apple and walnut. There's nothing better than a quick autumn dessert full of almonds, apple, and crunchy nuts.
One of the things I love most about this cake is how perfectly the flavors are balanced, just like a beautiful autumn day! In addition to the other flavors, almond extract adds a subtle touch.
Apple season is the best time to make this apple recipe. A dusting of powdered sugar is all that's needed to finish the cake.
How to prepare
Even though this Apple Walnut Cake looks sophisticated, it is incredibly easy to prepare! With only a wooden spoon, mix together the eggs, sugar, then add the dry ingredients - flour and almond flour, melted butter, diced apples, and coarsely chopped pecan nuts.
Mix everything together, spread on the prepared tray, sprinkle with pecans and flake almonds, and bake. There is nothing like it!
How to prepare - photos
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 1 h 10 min Serves: 9-10
200g caster (granulated) sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (vanilla extract)
100g ground almonds
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
150g unsalted butter, melted
100g pecan nuts, ( 50g roughly chopped)
30g flaked almonds
2 tbsp brown sugar
vanilla custard, optional
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4). Line a 20 x 20cm cake pan with baking paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon, mix together the eggs, sugar, almond extract and vanilla until smooth. Add the ground almonds, flour, baking powder and melted butter; mix together, until combined.
3. Core and cut 2 1/2 apples into 1cm dice, and roughly chop half of pecans (50g), then stir both into the mixture.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Slice the remaining 1/2 apple and arrange on top. Scatter over the whole remaining pecans and flaked almonds. Sprinkle over the brown sugar.
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool, dust with powdered sugar, then cut into squares and serve.
"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the Earth seeking the successive autumns.” ― George Eliot