This quiche is a savoury with a filling of cheese and vegetables. Filled with colourful vegetables and large enough to serve a crowd, this would make a decorative addition to an Easter feast. The Quiche can be served hot or cold.
1 package Pie crust
2 Tbsps butter
1 cup diced or grated swiss cheese
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 cup broccoli, chopped in small pieces
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
6 eggs, beaten
1-1/3 cups half-and-half cream
1/2 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (360)°F.
2. Unroll pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface, roll to a 30 cm (12-in.) circle. Transfer to a 23 cm (9-in). deep-dish pie plate. Press the edges into the sides of the pie plate. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
3. In a large skillet heat butter over medium-high heat; sauté red pepper, yellow pepper and broccoli until the peppers and the broccoli are slightly browned, 5-7 minutes.
4. Whisk together the eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Sprinkle the cheese evenly on the bottom of the pie crust. Top with the cooked veggies and the green onions. Pour the egg mixture over the top.
6. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 165°C (330°F); bake until the egg has mostly firmed up in the middle, 25-30 minutes. Cover edge loosely with foil if necessary to prevent over-browning. Cool slightly before serving.
“Taste, which enables us to distinguish all that has a flavor from that which is insipid."― Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin