Moist, fluffy, and delicious, this cocoa cake is great as a snack with a cup of coffee or tea. This recipe is so easy and quick to make!
This recipe is a summer cake that brings me back memories about my mother. My mother used to make this cake every year for family and friends. She loved it!
If you want to prepare a simple cake with few ingredients, this recipe is perfect for you.
This sponge cake is a light cake made only with eggs, flour and sugar. No baking powder or butter!
For me it will be cherries, for this simple cake, but you can do it with any fruit you want (strawberries, blueberries, currants….).
6 large eggs, at room temperature
6 Tbsp granulated sugar, sifted
6 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 Tbsp cocoa, unsweetened
Zest from 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g cherries, pitted
powder sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Grease and line with parchment paper two loaf pans.
2. In a small bowl combine the flour, and cocoa. Set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, beat the eggs with sugar until light and fluffy, and it has tripled in volume. Add vanilla and lemon zest.
4. Using a rubber spatula, gradually and gently add the flour mixture.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Place cherries on top of the batter. Bake for 20-25 min, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Dust with powder sugar and serve the cake as a snack with a cup of coffee or tea.
Note: The pictures show the steps for the same cake, but without cocoa. Instead of 6 tablespoons of plain flour, I used 7 tablespoons and no cocoa.
There is no love sincerer than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw