Filled with fresh blueberries, this cake is a beautiful harmony of flavors! Every bite has sweet pops of juicy blueberry and fresh lemon flavor. The combination of a soft and fluffy butter cake, fresh blueberries, and a touch of lemon and vanilla are irresistible.
This cake is great with a cup of coffee or tea, and you can just eat them any time of the day.
This Blueberry Cake is one of the first desserts I make when fresh blueberries are in season! Serve this cake warm or at room temperature, with a scoop of whipping cream or vanilla ice cream, if you desire!
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 45 min
Total time: 60 min
Servings: 6 - 8
240g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
160g (2/3 cup) unsalted butter, softened
170g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 lemon zest and juice, divided
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (4 oz) milk
1/2 cup (4 oz) sour cream
1/2 Tbsp corn starch
16 oz blueberriesMethod
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease and flour a 8-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, until fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract, and beat in the eggs, one at a time. Whisk together the milk and sour cream.
3. Using a mixer on low speed, alternatively, add flour mixture and milk-sour cream into the butter mixture, one at a time. Whisk to incorporate with each addition. Do not overmix. Finally, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon zest.
4. Rinse blueberries and drain well. In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with 1/2 tablespoon corn starch and 1 teaspoon lemon juice, stirring until well combined.
5. Pour half of batter into prepared springform pan and spread evenly. Top with half of the blueberries. Spread with remaining batter then sprinkle the rest of the blueberries evenly over the top, pushing them slightly into the batter (about halfway).
7. Bake for 40-55 min, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven. Let cake rest in the pan 15-20 min. Remove ring and cool until room temp.Transfer the cake to a platter, berry side up. Dust the cake with powder sugar.
Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair. ― Susan Polis Schutz