This traditional cake uses simple ingredients and is quick to make. With a light and fluffy batter, and juicy fresh apricots layered inside, every bite you take is bursting with flavour. It is a really easy and versatile cake.
Transform seasonal fruits into delicious, moist cakes to enjoy at any time of day. Every summer, you can take advantage of the bounty of fresh fruit to make these flavoured cakes embellished with a variety of seasonal fruits.
Use apricots, cherries, strawberries, nectarines, peaches to add a fruity edge and pretty topping to your cakes.
Apricot Cake is a must-make cake in the summer! it’s easy to make and uses only few ingredients. This cake is one of my favourite summer cakes: a simple lemon flavoured batter bursting with juicy sweet apricots.
Pair your cake with a cup of coffee or your favourite brew for the perfect teatime treat.
200g all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
90g unsalted butter, melted
6 large eggs, separated
180g caster sugar
1 untreated lemon
15 fresh apricots, stoned and halved
2 Tbsp icing (powdered) sugar, to dust
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fun (250°F/225°F). Grease a rectangular 28cm x 20cm cake pan and line with baking paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine sift flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites hold stiff.
4. Add yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Gradually add melted butter. Stir in the grated lemon zest. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture.
5. Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Place halved apricots, cut-side up on top of the batter. Bake for 35-40 min, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool the cake in the pan for 5 min, then carefully remove from the pan; peel off the lining paper. Serve warm or cold.
Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair. ― Susan Polis Schutz