This dessert is a bright, flavorful treat made with fresh raspberries and a buttery whole wheat biscuit that's perfect to share with family and friends on any occasion.
If you would love your family's diet to include more whole grains, this raspberry cake is made with whole wheat flour which has an unique balance of flavours.
The final product will simply have a sweeter flavor, and will be more healthy.
For the Biscuit
150g whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs (medium size), separated
2 Tbsp cold water
For the Topping
250g crème fraîche or sour cream
3 Tbsp sugar
250g cheese cream (20% fat)
2 Tbsp raspberry jam
1 tsp cocoa powder for dusting
Make the Biscuit
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Grease and line a 24 x 24cm square cake pan with baking paper, allowing paper to extend 2cm above edges of pan. In a medium bowl, combine the flour with baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a big bowl, using a mixer, beat the egg whites with the cold water until stiff. Gradually, add sugar beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites hold stiff. Add yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.
3. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Make The Topping
4. In a medium bowl, mix the crème fraîche or sure cream with sugar. Set aside.
5. Using a mixer, beat the cheese cream for 3 minutes. Add the cheese cream to the crème fraîche mixture.
6. Place the cake on the rectangular cake board. Spread raspberry jam over the cake. Spread the berries over the gem. Top with the cream mixture. Decorate with the remaining raspberries, and dust with cocoa powder.
Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious. ― Ruth Reichl