A Ricotta-Pistachios Eclair is a delectable combination of crisp choux pastry, ricotta cheese, pistachios, orange liqueur and flavored pastry cream. They are always a hit.
For the Batter
100 ml water
100 ml milk
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1 pinch salt
150g all-purpose flour
6 large eggs, at room temperature
For the Riccota-Pistachio Cream
300g ricotta cheese
100g powdered sugar
2 Tbsp orange liqueur (Grand Marnier or Cointreau) or fresh orange juice
80g pistachios, toasted and chopped
Make The Batter
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. In a medium saucepan, bring water, milk, butter and salt to a rapid boil over high heat.
3. lower the heat to medium low, add the flour all at once, and quickly start stirring with a wooden spoon, until a light crust forms on the bottom of the pan. Keep stirring for a couple more minutes to dry the dough. Take off heat.
4. Add eggs one by one while beating the dough until it is shiny and thick. Once all the eggs have been incorporated, the still-warm dough should be used immediately.
5. Spoon the dough into a pastry bag fitted with a plain 3/4-inc tip and pipe out 10 cm (4- inch) -long strips; leave about 5 cm (2 inches) of space between them.
6. Bake for 25 minutes until the eclairs are golden, firm and puffed (adjust cooking time accordingly). Transfer the eclairs to a rack and let cool.
Make The Ricotta-Pistachio Cream
7. Place the ricotta in a small strainer set over a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to drain the excess
8. Transfer the drained ricotta to a medium bowl, add the sugar and orange liqueur, and whisk until smooth. Cover and keep refrigerated for 2-3 hours.
9. When the eclairs reach room temperature, cut them lengthwise into two, fill the bottom layer with the pistachio cream and place on top of the bottom layer. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements. - Marcel Boulestin