by Feli Chic'Cuisine
These delicious Mocha Cupcakes made with espresso coffee, with a light hint of caramel, covered with a buttercream frosting, flavored with espresso. Coffee-flavored cakes are a delight, especially for coffee lovers. These cupcakes are an easy homemade treat you'll love.
Chocolate, toffee bites and espresso make a mouthwatering combination in this recipe.
Whether it's a celebration or a party, cupcakes are perfect. Generally, Cupcakes are loved by children, but due to the coffee content in this recipe, it should be enjoyed only by adults.
What is 'Chocolate Toffee Bits'?
One of the principal ingredient in this recipe is the Chocolate Toffee Bits, which are actually pieces of buttery crunchy sweet caramel, about the same size as chocolate chips. Since Chocolate Toffee Bits, are not easy to find in some regions and stores, a way to substitute this ingredient would be to crush into small pieces, 'Toffifee' Chocolate or any other simple caramel candies.
Prep Time: 25 min
Bake Time: 20 min
Total Time: 45 min
For the Cupcakes:
2 Tbsp instant espresso powder
240g boiling water
250g (1 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
25g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup chocolate toffee bits
For the Frosting
350g unsalted butter, room temperature
40g cocoa powder
1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
pinch of salt
600g powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp milk (add more if needed)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a muffin pan (tin) with cupcake cases and set aside.
2. Dissolve instant espresso powder in boiling water and set aside to cool.
Prepare the Cupcake Batter
3. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add dry ingredients and wet ingredients (the cooled espresso coffee) alternately until combined. Fold in toffee bits.
5. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, divide batter equally among prepared cupcake cases. Fill them a little over halfway up, 3/4 of their volume. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Prepare the Buttercream Frosting
6. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add in the cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt and mix on low until combined, then on medium until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
7. Add in half of powdered (confectioner's) sugar. Beat on low until combined, then on medium until fully incorporated. Add 2 tablespoons of milk, the vanilla extract and the other half of powdered (confectioner's) sugar. Beat until fully incorporated.
8. Frost cupcakes and decorate with cappuccino and chocolate toffee bits, if desired.
Note: Check the texture of the buttercream and if it's too thick, add milk. Once you acheive your consistency mix on medium high until light and fluffy.
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." ― Charles M. Schulz