With a crunchy topping, these apple muffins are flavoured with cinnamon, brown sugar, and plenty of juicy apples. They're a favorite!
The ingredients are simple, and the mixing method is easy, making this the perfect beginner baking recipe.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 25 min
Total time: 45 min
For the Cinnamon-Sugar Topping
75g (⅓ cup) packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
15g (1 Tbsp) butter
For the Muffins
2 large apples, peeled and chopped
270g (2 cups) flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
one pinch of salt
115g (1/2 cup; 4 oz) butter
200g (1 cup) sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Prepare The Crumb Topping
1. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add the cubed butter. Using a fork (or use your fingers) rub the butter in, until mixture is like coarse crumbs - do not over-mix. Set aside.
Prepare the Muffin Batter
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a muffin pan with paper cases. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or in a bowl using a handheld), add butter, sugar and eggs. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute, then turn up to high speed until the mixture is creamy. It is ok if it seems curdled. Mix in vanilla.
Note: If the mixture is not homogenized well, do not worry. By adding the flour mixture, the composition will turn creamy.
5. With the mixer in low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients. Beat until smooth (the batter will be thick). Using a spatula, gently fold in the apples.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle crumb topping over tops of mixture.
7. Bake for 5 minutes to 200°C (400°F). Lower the temperature to 180°C (375°F), and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until golden-brown or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
8. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool completely
Note 1: This recipe use1/4 teaspoon cinnamon for the topping. If you prefer a less cinnamon flavour in your topping, reduce to 1/8 teaspoon.
Note 2: The muffins composition will initially be thicker, but after adding the apples, they will be less dense due to the juice left behind by the apples.
Note 3: Baking the muffins for 5 minutes at an high temperature, and then lower it the temperature will quickly lifts up the muffin top.
If you try this recipe, leave a comment and let me know what you think! And don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #felichiccuisine on instagram!
Fiery colors begin their yearly conquest of the hills, propelled by the autumn winds, Fall is the artist.― Takayuki Ikkaku