This simple and crispy Greek inspired Spinach Pie is the most perfect snack but it can also be served as a main dish or a side dish for a holiday dinner.
This spinach pie is inspired by Spanakopita which is a popular Greek savoury pie made with flaky Puff Pastry or Filo Pastry, and a comforting filling of spinach, feta cheese and aromatic herbs.
The filling is not supposed to be salty but rather mild sweet. The addition of ricotta and soft sautéed onions provide that sweetness.
Prep. Time: 20-25 min
Cooking time: 35-45 min
1 Puff Pastry sheet or 1 pack Filo Pastry sheets
500g baby spinach, washed
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
200g Feta cheese, crumbled
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 eggs, at room temperature, beaten
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp melted butter
Prepare the spinach
1. In a large saucepan, add water and bring it to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes, until just wilted, stirring occasionally. Drain the spinach through the sieve. Let cool. Squeeze out any excess of water and roughly chop. Set aside.
Prepare the filling
2. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Brush a 23 cm (9 inch) pie pan with melted butter.
3. In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the chopped onions, until soft and translucent. Set the onions aside to cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl, mix together Feta cheese, Ricotta, eggs, oregano and thyme. Add the squeezed spinach, sautéed onions, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
5. Place a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface (or dust lightly with flour) and roll the thawed puff pastry out (See Note) until it's just slightly larger.
6. Drape the rolled pastry dough out over a pie plate. Spread the spinach and cheese mixture inside the pastry dough, then take the corners and fold them in toward the center. The pastry will not fully cover the top (see step by step photos up).
7. Brush with melted butter the surface of the pastry dough. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the spinach pie from the oven, and serve while hot.
Note: If you use Filo Pastry: Lay 1 sheet of Filo dough in prepared baking pan, and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of Filo dough on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat process with two more sheets of Filo. The sheets will overlap the pan. Spread spinach and cheese mixture into pan and fold overhanging dough over filling. Brush with oil, then layer another 4 sheets of Filo dough, brushing each with oil. Tuck overhanging dough into pan to seal filling.
If you try this recipe, leave a comment and let me know what you think! And don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #felichiccuisine on instagram!
“Food, like a loving touch or a glimpse of divine power, has that ability to comfort"― Norman Kolpa