This delicious version of the classic Black Forest Cake is made with a light chocolate sponge cake, soaked with strawberry syrup, then layered with whipped cream, white chocolate and strawberries. For a delicious effect decorate the cake with bittersweet chocolate.
This Black Forest Cake is elegant, decadent, and easy to make
In this cake, I used fresh seasonal strawberries, which are more fragrant and give the cake a wonderful aroma. When the strawberries are not in season, you can use frozen strawberries instead. You can also add grated lemon peel for a more fragrant aroma.
Prep. Time: 30 min
Bake Time: 35 min
Total Time: 1 1/2 h
For the Sponge Cake
210g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
67g (2/3 cup) cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
170g (3/4 cup) butter, melted
200g (1 1/4 cups) sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Strawberry Jam Filling:
600g (4 cups) fresh or frozen strawberries
150g (3/4 cup) sugar
1 tablespoon water
For the Whipping Cream Filling
720g (3 cups) whipping cream
185g white chocolate
200g bittersweet chocolate, shaved and coarsely chopped
Prepare the Sponge Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fun (350°F /4 gas mark). Grease a 20 cm (8 inch) round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold in the flour mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 - 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
3. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool for about 15 minutes, then flip the cake out onto the rack and let it cool completely. Flip the cake again, so the domed portion is on top, and trim the dome of the cake to flatten the top. Carefully cut the cake into 3 layers horizontally.
Prepare the Strawberry Filling
4. In a large saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar and 1 tablespoon water over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking the strawberries down with a wooden spoon, until the fruit has released its juice, about 5 minutes. Pass the strawberry mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving the syrup in a medium bowl.
Prepare the Whipped Cream
5. In a large bowl, add the whipping cream and beat until smooth. Using a double boiler or the microwave, melt the white chocolate. Gradually, fold the melted chocolate into whipped cream and beat until the mixture is smooth.
Assemble the Cake
6. Set one cake layer on a serving plate, cut-side up. Brush it with some of the strawberry syrup, spread 1/3 of the strawberry jam, then a layer whipped cream over the top. Repeat this process one more time and top it with the last cake layer, cut-side down. Then cover the entire cake with a thin layer of whipped cream. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. Decorate with chocolate curls or chocolate coarsely chopped and fresh strawberries.
Some films are slices of life, mine are slices of cake - Alfred Hitchcock