A delectable Chocolate Orange Cake layered and covered in a dark chocolate orange flavoured ganache.
There is just enough orange flavor to give this chocolate cake a really fresh and tasty flavor without being overwhelming.
Orange and chocolate make a pretty classic combination. This Orange Chocolate Cake is chocolatey and the fresh zest and juice of orange compliments it.
To amplify the orange flavor, some orange extract is added. However, if you don't have orange extract, you can omit it. Orange juice and orange zest contribute primarily to the flavor, giving it its natural orange flavor.
Enjoy this chocolate-orange cake full of divine flavors!
Prep. Time: 30 min
Bake Time: 25 min
Cool Time: 10 min
Total Time: 1 h 05 min
4 large eggs, free range
190g plain flour
25g cocoa powder, good quality
1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
100 ml sunflower oil
grated zest from 2 oranges, organic
juice from 1 orange
For the Chocolate Ganache
240g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
240 ml double (heavy/whipping) cream
120g butter, cut into cubs
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
orange candied peel
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fun (350°F /4 gas mark). Grease and line the base of a 20 cm (8 inch) round cake pan. In a large bowl, sieve together the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, over a pan of simmering water, place the eggs and sugar. Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs until creamy and thick. Gently, fold in the flour mixture. Gradually add the oil, then the orange zest and juice and gently fold in.
3. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the middle. Allow the cake cool in the pan for 10 min. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Using a wire cutter or serrated knife, cut the cake into two even layers.
Prepare the Chocolate Ganache
4. Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Bring the cream to the boil and pour over the chocolate, and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes. Stir until cream and chocolate are incorporated and it's silky smooth. Add the butter, and continue to stir until the butter is well incorporated, then stir in honey and orange extract. Set aside until firm enough to spread over the cake.
To Finish the Cake
5. Transfer one layer of cake to a serving plate and spread it with half the ganache. Put the other sponge on top and cover the cake with the remainder of the ganache. Decorate the top with the chocolate curls and orange candied peel.
The sun was warm but the wind was chill / You know how it is with an April day. - Robert Frost