New York Style Cheesecake - dreamy, decadent, creamy and utterly delicious! You'll absolutely love this easy cheesecake topped with strawberry topping!
What is New York cheesecake
The New York-Style Cheesecake is more dense, smooth, rich, and has creamy consistency. To make the New York cheesecake you need lots of cream cheese, also incorporating heavy cream or sour cream.
Tips and Tricks for Making a Perfect Cheesecake
1. The ingredients has to be used always at room temperature.
2. When you add flour or cornstarch to cheesecake, the texture becomes firmer and coarser, and prevents the cheesecake from cracking as it cools.
3. The eggs must be added at end one at a time! This create a stable emulsion of liquid and fat in the batter. If the batter is not properly emulsified, the cheesecake can be uneven, flavorless, and have a heavy texture.
4. Do not over bake! Overcooking causes proteins to shrink and the cake to dry out, leading to-cracks.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 1 h 55 min
Total Time: 2 h 25 min,
To Cool: 8 h or overnight
For the Crust
1-1/2 cups (125g) graham cracker crumbs, (aprox. 12 crackers, biscuits)
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
For the Filling
900g (4x225g) ( 32 oz (4x8-oz)) cream cheese, at room temperature
400g (2 cups) sugar
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest, from 1 lemon
2 tsp lemon juice, from 1 lemon
pinch of salt
6 large eggs
120g (1/2 cup) sour cream
For the Topping
strawberries, raspberries, cherries
Berry sauce, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Set the oven rack in the lower middle position. Line with parchment paper a 25 cm (9-in.) Wrap a 25 cm (9-inch) springform pan with one large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, covering the underside of the pan and extending all the way to the top. Set aside.
Make The Crust
2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and salt. Stir until well combined.
3. Press the graham cracker crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pan. Gently press down on the crumbs using your fingers, until the crumbs are an even layer at the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, until set. Remove from the oven and let cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C (325°F).
Make The Filling
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and flour together on medium speed about 3 minutes, until smooth, soft and creamy.
5. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt; beat on low speed until just combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed until incorporated, scraping the bowl as necessary. Mix in the sour cream. Make sure the batter is uniform but do not over mix. Pour the batter on top of the crust.
6. Place the foil-wrapped springform pan in a large, high-sided roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan to come about 2.5 cm (1 inch) up the side of the cake pan. Bake until the cake is just set, 1 h 30 min to 1 h 45 min.
To check if the cake is done: Shake the pan and the cake should be set, except for the center which should still jiggle slightly. it will continue to cook as it cools.
7. Turn off the oven and leave the oven door open. Let the cake cool in the oven until it comes to room temperature. This should prevent cracks. Once the cake is cooled completely, refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
8. Remove the cake from the refrigerator. Remove the foil from the sides of the pan. Run the side of a blunt knife between the edge of the cake and the pan. Transfer the cake to a serving platter. Slice with a sharp knife, wiping the knife clean between slices. Serve with strawberries, berry sauce and whipped cream, if you like.
The only way cheese is dessert is when it's followed by the word cake. - Michele Gorman