by Feli Chic'Cuisine
Celebrate the arrival of spring with a slice of Rhubarb Strawberry Cake. This Rhubarb Strawberry Cake is an old-fashioned cake, rich, moist and easy to make. Topped with fresh rhubarb and strawberry jam, this cake is a beautiful harmony of flavors! To add a tangy touch, the cake is glazed with a refreshing lemon icing that complements the flavors of the cake.
This delicious cake is not only rich and moist, but it's also incredibly easy to make. As you take a bite of this delicious cake, the tanginess of the rhubarb perfectly balances the sweetness of the strawberry jam, creating a burst of flavor that will leave your taste buds craving for more. The moist texture of the cake adds to the overall indulgence, making it a perfect treat to enjoy with your loved ones.
Rhubarb cake is one of those recipes you are likely to make again and again. Serve this cake warm or at room temperature, with a scoop of whipping cream or vanilla ice cream, if you desire!
What is Rhubarb
Rhubarb is a perennial plant that grows in cool climates, and it is at its peak during late spring and early summer. The stalks are the edible part of the plant and are harvested from April to June every year. Depending on the type of the plant, the stems can be green or red, and the taste can vary from sour to a subtler sweet and bitter.
How To Prepare and Cook Rhubarb
Choose fresh rhubarb that has firm, intact stalks and use it as soon as possible. Cut rhubarb just before you plan to cook it so the pieces don't dry out and lose essential vitamins and minerals.
To prepare rhubarb, trim the leaves first. Never eat the leaves of rhubarb! They contain a high concentration of the poisonous compound oxalic acid.
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 60 min
Rest Time: 15 min
Total time: 1 h 30 min
450g rhubarb, 4-5 stalks of fresh rhubarb, chopped
2 Tbsp raspberry jam
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
200g unsalted butter
250g caster (granulated) sugar
4 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Glaze
100g icing (powdered) sugar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fun (350°F / 4 gas mark). Grease and flour a 23 cm (9-inch) springform pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar for 5 minutes, until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Using a rubber spatula or the mixer at low speed, gradually fold in the flour mixture. Do not overmix. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
3. In a small bowl, mix together rhubarb and strawberry jam, and spread over the batter. Bake for 55 - 60 min, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
4. Remove from oven. Let cake rest in the pan 15-20 min. Run a knife around edge to loosen, remove the ring and transfer the cake to a platter. Let it cool until room temperature.
Prepare the Glaze
5. Combine icing (powdered) sugar with lemon juice, and stir until thick. Once the cake is completely cooled, drizzle with icing.
Feel free to mix rhubarb and strawberries. In this case, you will need to reduce the quantity of rhubarb.
Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair. ― Susan Polis Schutz