Sweet and fluffy on the inside with a delightfully crispy skin, this sliced sweet potatoes are baked with olive oil, salt and herbs. It’s a quick and delicious side dish that works perfectly for all your favorite fall recipes or even a simple a weeknight dinner.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
Health Benefits of Sweet potatoes
They’re low glycemic which help manage diabetes;
High fiber, so ideal for digestion;
High in magnesium and potassium which helps regulate blood pressure;
The best sources of Vitamin A because they contain high levels of beta-carotene.
How to Select Sweet Potatoes
Choose sweet potatoes that are firm and do not have any cracks, bruises or soft spots. Look for small to medium sweet potatoes, which are sweet and creamy.
3-4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
olive oil and seasonings (rosemary, oregano or thyme)
salt and black pepper (freshly cracked)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Grease with oil a large baking dish. Wash and peel sweet potatoes, then cut into thin round slices.
2. In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes slices with olive oil and seasonings (I used thyme); make sure they get well coated.
3. Arrange potato slices vertically in the dish. Season with salt, black pepper and thyme (rosemary, oregano).
4. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
5. Remove foil and bake until the bottoms are golden brown. Test the potatoes with a fork, they should be cooked through.
Note: Roasting time will depend on the thickness of your sweet potato slices: the thicker, the longer.
To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art. ― François de la Rochefoucauld