A delicious combination of sweet potatoes, Gouda cheese and cream that create an amazing dish. Salty and sweet with a hint of garlic and thyme, these Sweet Potato Stacks are a perfect side dish for your holiday meals, or any meal.
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these Potato Stacks, but they transform a humble side dish into a delicious and elegant one.
Alternative layers of sweet potato and cheese are stacked in a muffin tin which helps keep the stack together.
If you make these for a holiday feast, there’s every chance they may steal the show! These have a restaurant quality look that will certainly impress.
Prep Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
Servings: 12 stacks
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tsp fresh (or dried) thyme, divided
150g (1 1/4 cups) Gouda (or mozzarella) cheese, freshly shredded
150g (1 1/8 cup) double (heavy/whipping) cream
2 small garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
fresh thyme for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Peel sweet potatoes and slice into 6 mm (¼ in) rounds.
2. Cover the bottom of each muffin cup with a layer of sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with Gouda (mozzarella) cheese and thyme. Fill the muffin cups with alternate layers of sweet potatoes and shredded cheese. Finish with a sweet potatoes layer. sprinkle with thyme.
3. In a small saucepan over medium-high, heat the heavy cream with garlic, salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp thyme. Pour cream mixture into muffin cups.
4. Cover the muffin tin with parchment paper. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 3 minutes, until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
5. Let stand for 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around rim of each cup, and lift potato stacks from cups using a spoon or a thin spatula. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.
Did you make this recipe? Please, give it a like and leave a comment. Let me know what you think! And don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #felichiccuisine on instagram!
“Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.”― Ruth Reichl