With moist layers and rich chocolate filling it makes a wonderful celebration cake. Roasted hazelnuts add a crunch and taste that works perfectly with nougat—chocolate cream.
3 large eggs
3 Tbsp cold water
100g (1/2 cup) sugar
75g (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
3-4 Tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp cornstarch
100g (2/3 cup) hazelnuts, chopped
150g Toffifee chocolate
For the Chocolate Cream
250g (10 oz) bittersweet chocolate
200g (8 oz) nougat cream ( ex. Nutella)
750g (3 cups) whipping cream
Prepare the Chocolate Cream
1. In a bowl, mix the chopped chocolate and nougat. In a saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat until it just begins to boil. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate-nougat mix. Stir until smooth. Let stand, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. Let cool for 2 hours.
Prepare the Cake
2. Preheat the oven to 325°F (175°C). Butter and flour a 9 inch (25 cm) springform pan. In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Separate the egg whites and yolks. In an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with 3 tablespoons cold water until stiff. Gradually, add sugar, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites hold stiff. Add yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.
4. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it springs back when lightly pressed. Cool on a wire rack.
5. In a heavy saucepan, spread the hazelnuts on medium-high heat, and sauté until become fragrant and it turns into golden brown. Fold in Chocolate-Cream. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer on medium speed until it is smooth,
6. Place the cake onto a serving plate. Split the cake into 2 layers horizontally. Spread the first layer cake with chocolate-hazelnut-cream followed alternately with a layer of cake, and finishing with a layer of chocolate-hazelnut-cream.
7. Sprinkle with cocoa powder, chopped hazelnuts and decorate with Toffifee chocolate.