A classic and rustic French dessert! This apple cinnamon flavored French cake, completely melt in your mouth.
For the caramel
2 Tbsp water
3 apples, sliced thinly
½ tsp cinnamon
For the Batter
240g butter, at room temperature
120g all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
115g cream cheese
3 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (350°F). In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
Make The Caramel
2. In a saucepan, heat sugar and 2 tablespoons of water over medium-low heat. Do not stir, continue cooking, swirling pan frequently to keep from burning. Remove from heat when golden brown and swirl pan till bubbling stops.
3. Pour caramelized mixture into bottom of a spring form pan. Arrange apple slices on top of caramel in a circular pattern. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Set aside.
Make The Batter
4. In a bowl, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, one at the time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Gradually, add the flour mixture to the batter, beating until just moistened.
5. Gently spread the batter over the apples. Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes. Invert onto serving tray. Serve warm.
“Give me juicy autumnal fruit, ripe and red from the orchard." ― Walt Whitman