by Feli Chic'Cuisine
This is an elegant and classic French dessert! The sweetness of caramel sauce complements the crispness of fresh apple slices perfectly. A mouthwatering caramel-cinnamon Apple Cake that melts in your mouth.
The tender baked apples and the flavour of cinnamon make this cake so juicy and comforting.
Once the cake is inverted from the pan, all the juices from the baked apples seep down into the cake, adding moistness and flavor.
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake Time: 50 min
Total Time: 1 hour 10 min
For the Topping
3 apples, thinly sliced
½ tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp water
For the Batter
240g butter, at room temperature
120g all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
115g cream cheese
3 large eggs, free range
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Butter the bottom and sides of a 23 cm (9-inch) round cake pan (don’t use a springform pan, as the caramel might leak out during baking). In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
Prepare The Caramel
2. In a saucepan, heat sugar and 2 tablespoons of water over medium-low heat. Do not stir, continue cooking, swirling pan frequently to keep from burning, until sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat when golden brown and swirl pan till bubbling stops.
3. Carefully, pour the caramel mixture into bottom of a cake pan. Arrange apple slices on top of caramel in a circular pattern. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Set aside.
Prepare The Batter
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, one at the time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Gradually, add the flour mixture to the batter, beating until just moistened.
5. Gently spread the batter over the apples. Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes. Invert onto serving tray. Serve warm.
If you try this recipe, leave a comment and let me know what you think! And don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #felichiccuisine on instagram!
“Give me juicy autumnal fruit, ripe and red from the orchard." ― Walt Whitman