This beautiful rustic dessert has a sweet, spiced filling and the most flaky pastry crust ever. Make your best-ever homemade apple desserts this fall.
For the Crust
2 1/2 cup (355 g) all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup (227 g) cold butter, cubed
1 egg, separated
4-5 Tbsp milk
You can also use store bought pie crust.
For the Filling
10 medium tart apples (the golden delicious), peeled and sliced ( cubed)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/3 cup (75 g) brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp heavy (whipping) cream or milk
2 Tbsp turbinado (brown) sugar
2 Tbsp breadcrumbs
MAKE THE CRUST
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. Using your fingertips, mix butter very quickly into flour mixture until crumbly.
2. In a little bowl, combine the egg yolk and milk. Gradually add to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead a few times, just until it comes together into a ball. The dough should not be sticky, and be careful not to over-work it. Divide dough in half, wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
MAKE THE FILLING
3. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
4. Peel, core and cut the apples. Mix the apples with the sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel.
5. In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the apples; toss to combine. Sauté until most of the juices have evaporated and the apples are just starting to soften but are still raw. Remove from the heat and then add the cinnamon and vanilla extract. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
6. On a lightly floured surface roll one half pastry dough into a 12-inch (30cm) diameter. Carefully place the dough into a 9-inch (20 cm) tart pan. Roll it on the rolling pin and unroll it over the pie plate. Crimp the edge and cut off excess dough. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Add the apple filling.
7. Make the lattice crust: Roll out second dough disk on floured surface to 12-inch (30 cm) diameter. Using a pastry wheel, sharp knife, or pizza cutter, cut 16 strips 1/2 inch (2cm) wide. Use a clean measuring tape or ruler as a guide to assure the lines are straight. Carefully thread the strips over and under one another, pulling back strips as necessary to weave. Using a small and sharp knife, trim the extra overhang. Crimp the edges of the dough with a fork or your fingers.
8. Brush lattice with whipping cream(milk) mixed with egg yolk. Sprinkle lightly with turbinado (brown) sugar. Bake at 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.