Give your loved ones a real treat with this delicious Hazelnut-Chocolate Cake!
For the Biscuit
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup (170g) butter, melted
1 1/4 sugar
1 1/2 vanilla extract
For the Hazelnut Frosting
1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, to room temperature
2 cups (240g) confectioners' (powdered) sugar
3/4 cup (222g) Nutella
3-4 Tbsp heavy (whipping) cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
For the Cream
1 cup (250g) whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla sugar
2 Tbsp grated chocolate
For the Glaze
1/2 cup (100g) whipping cream
For the Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 - 2 1/2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar, sifted
4 Tbsp strawberry syrup
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp half-and-half or whipping cream
pinch of salt
MAKE THE BISCUIT
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease and line with parchment paper a 8-in (20 cm), a cake pan. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract. Gradually and gently fold in the flour mixture, using a rubber spatula.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and cook for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
MAKE THE HAZELNUT FROSTING
4. In a large bowl, beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
5. Add powdered sugar and continue to beat. Add the Nutella and continue to beat on medium speed. Add whipping cream, the vanilla extract and salt. Set aside.
MAKE THE STRAWBERRY FROSTING
6. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and ½ cup of confectioner’s (powdered) sugar at a time. After each cup of sugar has been added, add strawberry syrup, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add vanilla and beat on high for about 20 seconds to lighten the frosting.
7. Add the whipping cream (half-and-half), one tablespoon at a time until the buttercream has reached a consistency where it will hold its shape. Add pinch of salt and whip on high for a final 20 seconds. Set aside.
MAKE THE GLAZE
8. In a small bowl, put the chopped chocolate. In a saucepan heat the cream to a simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and whisk gently until the chocolate melts. Let it cool until it is still warm and flowing.
MAKE THE WIPPED CREAM
9. In a large bowl, whip cream and vanilla till thick, then fold in the grated chocolate.
10. Split the cake into 3 layers horizontally. Spread the first layer cake with hazelnut frosting followed alternately with a layer of cake, a layer of cream again, finishing with a layer of cake.
11. Decorate with strawberry buttercream frosting and confetti candies (using your imagination).