This soup is a delicious light version of a classic. Carrots are particularly versatile and this simple soup is elegant in both flavor and appearance. Serve accompanied by homemade croutons .
3 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, sliced, plus 2-3 leafy celery tops
2 small potatoes, chopped
450 g (1 lb) carrots, chopped - preferably young and tender
4 cups chicken stock
2-3 tsp coriander fresh, chopped
4-5 leaves celery, chopped
1 cup low-fat milk
salt and black pepper
1. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large heavy saucepan and fry the onion, celery, potato and the carrot for few minutes stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so the vegetables do not stick.
2. Add the stock, bring to a boil then partially cover and simmer for another 8 - 10 minutes, until the carrot and potato are tender.
3. In a small saucepan, heat 1 tbs olive oil and fry the chopped coriander and the chopped leaves celery leaves for 1 minute stirring constantly. Set aside.
4. Process the soup in a food processor or blender and pour into a clean saucepan. Stir in the milk, coriander mixture and seasoning.
5. Serve garnished with the reserved celery and homemade croutons.
”Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.”- Craig Claiborne