It is a such simple dish! Delicious and a show stealer! White bread layer with Fontina cheese, Gouda cheese or other mild semi-hard cheese, asparagus and egg yolk in the middle that is destined to ooze.
4 slices of Italian Bread or other crusty bread (Thick Sliced )
8 egg yolks
250 g (8 ounces) Fontina cheese, Swiss cheese, Gouda cheese or other mild semi-hard cheese, grated or shredded
3 Tbsp butter, divided
asparagus, cooked and sliced
Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (375°F). Lightly butter a baking sheet.
2. In a medium skillet add 1 teaspoon butter. Cook the asparagus over medium heat, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden but still crisp.
3. Use a serrated knife to score a square in the center of the each slice of bread.
4. Generously, add a layer of cheese and asparagus sliced. Crack and separate each egg, sliding 2 yolks into the center of each slice of bread. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
5. Bake for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and begins to bubble.
6. Transfer the toasts to small serving plates, stir the yolks with the tip of the knife (they should be runny). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
“Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.”― Ruth Reichl