Pork and apple are a classic and delicious combination. The vegetables and apples cook down to create their own wonderful pan juices for the roast.
3 medium yellow potatoes, cut into wedges
1 large sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1000g (2 pounds) boneless pork loin
3 large apples, peeled and each cut into wedges
Handful fresh oregano sprigs, leaves chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
2. In a large roasting pan combine the potatoes and onions. Sprinkle with 1½ tablespoons of the oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Spread the mixture in one layer.
3. Place pork loin on a cutting board and make a series of small, parallel incisions along the length of meat. Fill each incision with garlic.Rub the loin with the remaining 1½ tablespoons oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Make a space in the middle of the potato mixture and set the pork loin in it. Scatter the apples around the pork, sprinkle with half the oregano, and toss the potato mixture so the apples are evenly distributed.
5. Cover the pan with parchment paper. Roast for 35 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. and the pork loin is golden brown.
“Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.” - George Eliot