A moist, chocolate sponge base, a simple creamy whipped cream with chocolate, and orange marmalade makes the filling, and fresh or canned mangoes top the cake.
For the Biscuit
3/4 cup (75g) flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup (25g) cornflour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons cold water
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
1 pack vanilla sugar
butter and flour for the mold
For the Filling:
750g (2 1/2 cups) whipping cream
2 tablespoons powder sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla sugar
1/3 cup (50g) grated chocolate
6 tablespoons orange marmalade (jam)
TO MAKE THE BISCUIT
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (325°F). Butter and flour a 20-23 cm ( 8 or 9inch) springform pan. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and cornflour. Set aside.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolks. In an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with 3 tablespoons cold water until stiff. Gradually, add sugar, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites hold stiff. Beat in vanilla. Add yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.
3. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it springs back when lightly pressed. Cool on a wire rack.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
4. Whip cream, sugar and vanilla sugar until thick, then fold in the grated chocolate.
5. Place the cake on a serving plate. Split the cake into 2 layers horizontally. Spread the first layer cake with orange marmelade and cream followed with a layer of cake, and finishing with a layer of cream.
6. Spread the remaining cream over the sides of the cake. Decorate with mango slices and grated chocolate.