An impressive and simply delicious cake, made with layers of crepes filled with Hazelnut cream and drenched in a dark chocolate ganache glaze.
For the Crêpe
1 pinch salt
170g unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 cups milk, room temperature
6 large eggs, free range, lightly beaten
For the Nutella Chocolate Ganache
120 ml (1/2 cup) whipping cream
280g (1 cup) Nutella
1 Tbsp butter
For the Chocolate Glaze
225g (4-ounce) semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup (8 ounces; 240ml) whipping cream
MAKE THE CREPES
1. In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt. Make a well in the centre and add the beaten eggs. Gradually and slowly pour in the milk, whisking gently; add melted butter; mix to form a smooth, watery batter. Don’t over-mix the batter! Batter should be the thickness of single cream. Set the batter aside for about half an hour or overnight in the fridge, if time allows.
2. Lightly grease a 18-20 cm nonstick pan with butter of oil. Get the pan hot slowly, over a low to moderate heat. Stir the batter and pour a small ladle of batter into the pan. Working quickly, tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly. Let the crêpe cook for a minute or so until the underside is golden and comes easily away from the pan. Loosen with a spatula, and carefully flip it over, and cook the other side. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Tip the crêpe on a plate. Wipe the pan with a little more butter or oil and continue until you have used up all the batter.
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
3. Bring the cream to a gently simmer, stirring occasionally. Do not let it come to a boil! Pour the cream over the Nutella and stir well to mix. Stir the butter into the Nutella and cream just until melted and glossy.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
4. Prepare a 23 cm (9-inch) pan with the ability to remove the bottom. Line the bottom waxed paper. Place a crepe over the baking sheet. Spread 2 tablespoons of chocolate ganache evenly on the crepe. Top with another crepe. Continue to layer the chocolate ganache and crepes until all crepes are used up. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GALAZE
5. In a medium bowl, place chopped chocolate. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to gently simmer. Do not let it come to a boil! Pour over chocolate, and very slowly stir until completely combined and chocolate has melted.
6. Remove the cake from the pan. Spread the glaze over cake and around the sides of the cake. Refrigerate until glaze is firm, about 30 minutes. Garnish with berry fruits.
“Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.” ― Robert Byrne