by Feli Chic'Cuisine
You can let your creativity flow with this cake! You will find a recipe for chocolate crepe cake here that will appeal to children and adults alike.
For this impressive and tasty cake, make a classic pancake batter, then alternate the pancakes with a chocolate filling. A scoop of vanilla ice cream is the ideal accompaniment to this original and gourmet cake.
This is a perfect recipe to change traditional pancakes and delight the whole family.
For the Crêpe
1 pinch salt
170g unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 cups milk, room temperature
6 large eggs, free range, lightly beaten
For the Nutella Chocolate Ganache
120 ml (1/2 cup) whipping cream
280g (1 cup) Nutella
1 Tbsp butter
For the Chocolate Glaze
225g (4-ounce) semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup (240 ml / 8-ounces) whipping cream
Make the Crêpes
1. In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt. Make a well in the middle and add the beaten eggs. Gradually and slowly pour in the milk, whisking gently; add melted butter; mix to form a smooth, watery batter. Don’t over-mix the batter! Batter should be the thickness of single cream. Set the batter aside for about half an hour or overnight in the fridge, if time allows.
2. Lightly grease a18 - 20 cm nonstick pan with butter or oil. Get the pan hot slowly, over a low to moderate heat. Stir the batter and pour a small ladle of batter into the pan. Working quickly, tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly. Let the crêpe cook for a minute or so until the underside is golden and comes easily away from the pan. Loosen with a spatula, and carefully flip it over, and cook the other side. Cook for a further 1 - 2 minutes. Tip the crêpe on a plate. Wipe the pan with a little more butter or oil and continue until you have used up all the batter.
Make the Chocolate Ganache
3. Bring the cream to a gently simmer, stirring occasionally. Do not let it come to a boil! Pour the cream over the Nutella and stir; add the butter and cream just until melted and glossy.
Assemble the Cake
4. Prepare a 23 cm (9-inch) springform pan with the ability to remove the bottom. Line the bottom waxed paper. Place a crêpe over the baking sheet. Spread 2 tablespoons of chocolate ganache evenly on the crepe. Top with another crêpe. Continue to layer the chocolate ganache and crêpes until all crêpes are used up. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Make the Chocolate Glaze
5. In a medium bowl, place chopped chocolate. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to gently simmer. Do not let it come to a boil! Pour over chocolate, and very slowly stir until completely combined and chocolate has melted.
6. Remove the cake from the pan. Spread the glaze over cake and around the sides of the cake. Refrigerate until glaze is firm, about 30 minutes. Garnish with berry fruits.
“Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.” ― Robert Byrne