by Feli Chic'Cuisine
The kind of cookies that melt in your mouth! These Shell Cookies are so easy to prepare, without much effort, needing only a little dexterity. The Coconut Chocolate Shells are made with very simple ingredients: eggs, flour and sugar, flavored with vanilla and filled with chocolate spread. Sprinkle them with coconut flakes and it is the dessert that will steal the attention at a holiday table. Impress your guests with these pretty, Chocolate ''Shells''. Their taste is heavenly!
Due to the fact that the ingredients are weighed according to the weight of the eggs, this recipe is a bit special, but so simple, too. It means that for every 4 eggs you weigh, you should use the same amount of flour and sugar.
There is a story behind these Shell cookies that goes back to my childhood, when the entire family gathered around the Christmas table. This is one of the recipes that my aunt liked to prepare, and we enjoyed it on the holiday table. I was fascinated by the simplicity of this recipe, and by how beautiful and delicious these cookies could be.
Every Christmas, after a feast full of Christmas goodies, we eagerly awaited the much-coveted dessert - Shell Cookies. They impressed me not only with their appearance, but also with their taste as well. My fascination with the recipe is not only because of its simplicity, but also because of how attractive and delicious the cookies can be. There is nothing like their taste!
Shell Cookies have a soft texture that practically melts in your mouth. Filled with chocolate spread that has a light hazelnut flavor and topped with coconut flakes, this dessert is divine.
How to weigh the ingredients
In general, it is known that a larger egg weighs about 50 grams, the medium-sized one about 44 grams, and a small egg weighs about 38 grams. These weights can vary, so I advise you to weigh the eggs you use in this recipe and depending on their weight, then you weigh the other ingredients. In my case, the eggs were different sizes, and the total weight of four eggs was 260 grams. Consequently, I should have weighed 260 grams of sugar and 260 grams of flour, but I reduced the flour quantity by 10 grams, and I used only 250 grams of flour.
Tips for this recipe
An important tip for the success of these cookies is related to their shape. When you take the tray out of the oven, quickly ( otherwise they will harden and break) using a wooden or metal spatula, lift each cookie and fold it at the edge to look like a shell; handle and leave to cool.
Prep. Time: 15 min
Baking Time: 10 min
1 tsp vanilla extract
Hazelnut chocolate spread
1. Preheat the oven to180°C (350°F). Grease and line with parchment paper a square baking tray.
2. In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat eggs on high until thickened, light, and fluffy. Gradually, add sugar beating on medium for 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract. Using a spatula, gradually fold in the flour - gently, not to lose the air in the eggs mixture.
3. Spoon onto lined baking tray and spread thinly into 5.5 cm diameter circles. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they are golden-brown.
How to Shape the Shell Cookies
4. Remove the baking tray from the oven and, immediately, working very quickly, lift each cookie with a palette knife. Fold it at the edge; handle and leave to cool.
5. Fill them with Hazelnut chocolate spread and top with coconut flakes.
“Look, there's no metaphysics on earth like chocolates.'' ― Fernando Pessoa