Fall desserts are not complete without a creamy and flavourful pumpkin pie recipe. The pie filling is rich, smooth, and taste wonderful on the homemade pie crust.
Delicious, this pie is bursting with flavour! The Pumpkin Pie is great with maple syrup or whipped cream, sprinkled with cinnamon or cinnamon sugar.
Tips for Baking this Pie
The pie crust used in this recipe is homemade, which is very easy to make. You will find the recipe here: Homemade Flaky Pie Crust.
For this recipe you do not have to Blind bake the crust before, just pour the filling over the crust and put it in the oven for the time indicated in the recipe. It's because the filling is too liquid and the baking time is long, which would lead to excessive baking of the crust.
If you wish you can 'Blind bake' the crust, which helps the crust to remain crispy and flaky. Be sure to line the pie crust with baking paper and fill it with weights for the pie - dry beans or rice, if you have no weights.
Use a baking sheet for the edges of the tart dough to prevent excessive browning. Especially if you partially bake the dough before putting the filling inside.
In this pie you can use canned or homemade pumpkin puree. But making your own puree is healthier, easier and tastes much better.
A teaspoon of cornstarch is used in this recipe to make the pie pumpkin set and firm. Among the most important ingredients in pie filling is starch thickener.
Bake at a high temperature of 200°C (425°F) for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 180°C (350°F). Bake for 40 to 45 minutes more.
The pie is done when the sides begin to puff but the center will be slightly wobbly. It will set as it cools. Careful not to overcook! Overcooking it will cause the filling to crack.
Note: Pie crust leaves are only decorative; you can omit them and make one pie crust instead.
Prepare the Pie Crust
Prepare the Filling
Pumpkin Pie Recipe - Video step by step:
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 55 min
Total Time 1 h 15 min Serves: 8
1 Layer Shortcrust Pastry Sheet (chilled or frozen) - Homemade Flaky Pie Crust
For the Filling
150 g (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
1 tsp cornstarch (or flour)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves (optional)
1 pinch salt
3 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream/heavy cream/double cream, or Evaporated milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
cinnamon or cinnamon-sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
2. Prepare the pie crust by rolling the dough so that it is 5 cm ( 2-inches) larger than your pie plate (23 cm, 9-inch). Carefully, transfer the dough to the pie plate. Lines the bottom and sides. Trim any excess dough, and flute the edges. Refrigerate.
Make The Filling
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves until well combined. Set aside.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, whipping cream/ heavy cream/double cream or Evaporated milk and vanilla until well combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix together until fluffy. Pour the filling into the pie crust.
5. Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 200°C (400°F). Reduce heat to 180°C (350°F) and bake for an additional 40-45 minutes. The pie is done when the sides begin to puff but the center will be slightly wobbly.
6. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Allow to cool.
7. Serve with whipped cream, maple syrup, cinnamon or cinnamon with sugar. An autumn delight!
“I can smell autumn dancing in the breeze. The sweet chill of pumpkin, and crisp sunburnt leaves.” ― Ann Drake