If you want to offer family and friends a dessert that really stands out from the rest, this is the cake to make. Beautiful high layer of rich sponge cake are drizzled with a succulent chocolate glaze.
For the Cake
1 cup (140g) flour
1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar, divided
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
12 large egg whites
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp unsweetened dark cocoa
For the Glaze
1 1/2 cups (180g) powdered sugar
2 Tbsp light cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp unsweetened dark cocoa
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C(325°F). In a medium bowl combine flour and 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, place cream of tartar, salt, and egg whites. Using a mixer, beat at high speed until foamy. Add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually fold the flour mixture over egg white mixture.
3. Spoon half of batter into an 25 cm (10-inch) round cake pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife.
4. Sift 2 tablespoons cocoa over remaining batter; fold in. Spoon cocoa batter evenly over top of vanilla batter. Break air pockets by cutting through cocoa layer with a knife. Bake for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a knife. Transfer cake onto a plate.
MAKE THE GLAZE
5. In a medium bowl, place powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Drizzle half of glaze over cake.
6. Add 3/4 teaspoon cocoa to remaining glaze; stir well to combine. Drizzle cocoa glaze over cake. Refrigerate 5 minutes or until glaze is set. Garnish with strawberries, if desired.
''If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien