200g dark chocolate (70%), finely grated
8 Tbsp water
4 egg yolks
2 Tbsp brandy
600ml double cream
12 large strawberries, sliced
50g grated dark chocolate (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F). Grease and line a 20 cm (8-inch) springform pan with baking paper.
2. In a saucepan,, combine the sugar with 6 tablespoons water and heat gently over a low heat, until the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally. Turn up the heat and boil briskly for 3-4 mins until it becomes a thin syrup.
3. In a large bowl, put the chocolate. Pour the hot syrup on the chocolate. Stir until it melts and becomes liquid. Add 2 tablespoons boiling water. Add the egg yolks and stir for a few minutes. Add the brandy.
4. In a large bowl, beat the cream to a soft floppy consistency. Fold in the chocolate mixture. Spread in the prepared springform, levelling the top with the back of a spoon. Cover with clingfilm and transfer to the freezer. Cool for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
5. Remove from the freezer, release from springform and transfer to a plate. Decorate with strawberries and dark chocolate.
'' The main facts in human life are five: birth, food, sleep, love and death.” ― E. M. Forster