Layers of crepes and chocolate coffee filling make this beautiful dessert irresistible.
For the Crêpe
225g (1 1/2 cup) plain flour
65g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
5 Tbsp sugar
1 pinch salt
4 large eggs, lightly beaten, free range
355 ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
235 ml (1 cup) water
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 Tbsp melted butter
Butter, for coating the pan
For the Coffee Ganache:
250g ( 8 oz) dark chocolate, chopped
50g (2 oz) unsalted butter
150ml (2/3 cup) milk
100ml (1/2 cup) whipping cream
100ml (1/2 cup) strong black coffee (espresso)
55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
For the Chocolate Glaze:
250g (8 oz) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
200 ml (1 cup) whipping cream
For Filling and Decorate
MAKE THE CREPES
1. In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together milk, water and vanilla extract.
3. Make a well in the centre of flour mixture, and add the beaten eggs. Gradually and slowly pour in the milk mixture, whisking gently. Add melted butter; mix to form a smooth, watery batter. Don’t over-mix the batter! Batter should be the thickness of single cream. Set the batter aside for about an hour or overnight in the fridge, if time allows.
4. Lightly grease a 18-20 cm nonstick pan with butter of oil. Get the pan hot slowly, over a medium heat. Stir the batter and pour a small ladle of batter into the pan. Working quickly, tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly. Let the crêpe cook for a minute or so until the underside is golden and comes easily away from the pan. Loosen with a spatula, and carefully flip it over, and cook the other side. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Tip the crêpe on a plate. Wipe the pan with a little more butter or oil and continue until you have used up all the batter.
MAKE THE FILLING
5. In a heatproof bowl, over a pan of simmering water (ensure bowl doesn't touch water), melt the chocolate. Stir in butter, milk, cream, coffee and sugar, then whisk until mixture is smooth and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for 20-30 minutes until mixture cools and thickens.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
6. Lay one crêpe on a cake plate. Using an offset spatula, cover with a thin layer of chocolate cream (2 to 3 tablespoons). Sprinkle with fresh raspberry pieces. Cover with a crêpe and repeat to make a stack of 20-25, with the best-looking crepe on top. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
MAKE THE GLAZE
7. In a medium bowl, place the chocolate. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Gently simmer; do not bring at a boil!. Pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth.
8. Drizzle the Chocolate glaze on top of the cake and let it dripped to the sides. Add the fresh raspberries and chocolate curls on top of the cake. Refrigerate to set the ganache.
“Anything is good if it's made of chocolate.” ― Jo Brand