There's nothing as impressive as making this chocolate crepe cake! This dessert is composed of layers of chocolate crepes and a coffee-scented chocolate filling topped with mocha sauce.
Layers of crepes, chocolate coffee filling and strawberries make this beautiful dessert irresistible.
Pre. Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Servings: 10 - 12
For the Crêpes
500g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
6 eggs, free range, lightly beaten
1000 ml (1 L) milk
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
Butter, for coating the pan
For the Coffee Ganache
300g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1240 ml double (whipping) cream
80 ml brewed espresso
For the Mocha Sauce
200g dark chocolate, chopped
80 ml double (whipping) cream
60 ml freshly brewed espresso
2 Tbsp coffee liqueur
2 Tbsp brown sugar
For Filling and Decorate
Make the Crêpes
1. In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Make a well in the centre and add eggs lightly beaten, whisking gently. Gradually add milk, while continually stirring, until well combined and mixture is smooth. Add vanilla and stir to combine. Don’t over-mix the batter! Batter should be the thickness of single cream. Set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
To Cook the Crêpes
2. Heat a 18 cm non-stick pan over medium heat, and lightly brush with melted butter. Stir the batter and pour a small ladle of batter into the pan. Working quickly, tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
3. Let the crêpe cook for a minute, until the underside is golden and comes easily away from the pan. Loosen with a spatula, and carefully flip it over; cook the other side for a further 1-2 minutes. Tip the crêpe on a plate. Brush the pan with a little more butter and continue until you have used up all the batter.
Prepare the Filling
4. In a heatproof bowl, over a pan of simmering water, place chocolate, cream and coffee. Use a metal spoon to stir for 5 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes cools and thickens.
Assemble the Cake
5. Line a 23 cm springform pan with plastic wrap. Place a crêpe in the pan. Using an offset spatula, cover with a thin layer of filling (2 to 3 tablespoons). Sprinkle with fresh raspberry pieces. Cover with a crêpe and continue layering with crepes and filling, finishing with a crepe on top. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 3 hours or until set.
Prepare the Mocha Sauce
6. In a heatproof bowl, over a pan of simmering water, combine the chocolate, cream coffee, liqueur and sugar. Stir for 5 minutes or until sauce is smooth.
7. Turn the cake onto a cake plate. Drizzle the mocha sauce on top of the cake and let it dripped to the sides. Add the fresh raspberries and chocolate curls on top of the cake.
“Anything is good if it's made of chocolate.” ― Jo Brand