Irish cream liqueur gives this Chocolate Mousse Cake its deep, complex flavor.
For the Mousse
4 large eggs
65g (1/3 cup) sugar
340g (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate, chopped
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) chilled whipping cream
1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
For the Cake
6 large eggs
170g 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 Tbsp instant espresso powder or coffee powder
Pinch of salt
130g (1 cup) all purpose flour
For the Syrup
150g (2/3 cup) sugar
5 Tbsp water
5 Tbsp Irish whiskey
For the Chocolate Curls
340g (12-ounce) semisweet chocolate
Need: candy thermometer
MAKE THE MOUSSE
1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water). Whisk constantly until candy thermometer registers 70°C (160°F), about 5 minutes. Remove bowl. Using electric mixer, beat egg mixture until cool and very thick, about 10 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl over saucepan of simmering water, place chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove chocolate and let cool.
PREPARE THE SYRUP
3. In a medium bowl, combine cream and Irish cream liqueur. Beat to stiff peaks. Pour the melted chocolate over egg mixture and fold together. Fold in cream mixture. Cover and chill until set, at least 4 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to180°C (360°F). Butter and line a 23 cm (9 inch) round pan with parchment paper.
5. Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl beat eggs, sugar, espresso powder and salt until mixture thickens, about 8 minutes.
6. Sift 1/3 of flour over and gently fold into egg mixture. Continue mixing (do not overmix or batter may deflate). Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on rack.
7. Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Turn out cake. Remove pan bottom. Peel off parchment. Chill.
8. Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers. Place bottom cake layer on platter; brush with 3 tablespoons syrup; spread 2 cups mousse over. Top with second cake layer; brush with 3 tablespoons syrup; spread 2 cups mousse over. Top with third cake layer; brush with 3 tablespoons syrup; spread remaining mousse over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate cake while preparing chocolate curls.
10. Place curls decoratively atop cake, mounding slightly. Refrigerate cake, before serving.
'' Anything is good if it's made of chocolate.” ― Jo Brand