Thanks to orange and lemon, this lovely pie packs a bold sweet-tart flavor.
1 pie crust , Homemade or Frozen
For the Filling
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 cup orange juice
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp orange zest
For the Meringue
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 Tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F).
2. Roll out pastry to fit a 23 cm (9-inch) pie plate. doubling the side walls. Line pastry with double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
3. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly brownie . Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to175°C (350°F).
Make the Filling
4. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in water and orange juice. Beat until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer until the mixture will be thick.
5. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg-yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
6. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter, orange and lemon zest. Pour into prepared crust.
Make The Meringue
7. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
8. Bake for 10 min or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
“We should count time by heart-throbs. He most lives,Who thinks most, feels noblest, acts the best.” ― Philip James Bailey