These delightful puffs are a Classic French dessert made from Choux Pastry Buns filled with whipped cream and served on a particularly flavorful chocolate sauce.
87g unsalted butter
½ tsp sugar
pinch of salt
105g all-purpose flour
3 large organic eggs
For the Egg Wash
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp whipping cream
For the Filling
360g whipping cream ( at least 30% fat)
40g powdered (icing) sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
For Chocolate Glaze
150g dark chocolate ( 70% cacao), finely chopped
150g whipping cream
1 Tbsp honey ( acacia, or any light one)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly brush the parchment with water, which creates a humid environment for the pastry shells allowing them to puff up without drying out or burning.
Make the Choux Pastry
2. In a medium size pot on a medium heat, place the milk, water, butter, sugar and salt. Stir until the butter melts.
3. When the butter is completely melted and the mixture begins to boil, add the flour all at once. Remove from heat, and stir rapidly with a wooden spoon until smooth.
4. Put the pot back on the heat, and keep on stirring until a thin pellicule forms at the bottom of the pot. Remove from heat and add the eggs one at a time, stirring briskly with a wooden spoon. Continue stirring until the batter is smooth.
5. Place the Choux Pastry in a piping bag with a large round nozzle. Pipe small mounds of pastry, leaving space between each Choux as they will puff in the oven.
6. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk and whipping cream. Using a water moistened finger, smooth down the peaks and lightly brush each with egg wash.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden, then open the oven door to let the steam out and re-close it. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave them inside, with the door open for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
Make the Filling
8. In a mixing bowl add the whipping cream, powdered (icing) sugar, and vanilla. Mix until the cream is smooth. Refrigerate.
Make the Chocolate Glaze
9. In a saucepan over low heat, add the whipping cream and honey. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and add the chopped chocolate. Mix well, until the chocolate has melted completely and smooth.
Serve with choux puffs.
Assembling the Choux
10. Carefully Remove the top of each Choux puff. Deep the puff top in the chocolate glaze. Set aside.
11. Spoon the whipped cream into a pastry bag fitted with a star nozzle. Fill each puff with the whipped cream. Place the puff lid back on top of the cream. Serve immediately or store in the fridge until serving time.
“Look, there's no metaphysics on earth like chocolates.'' ― Fernando Pessoa