This Chocolate-Raspberry Swiss Roll is a delightful and simple chocolate roll cake with spirals of creamy raspberry ganache.
For the Biscuit
120g plain flour
60g almond meal, (grounded almonds)
50g cocoa powder, unsweetened
4 large eggs, separated
100g powdered sugar
pinch of salt
For the liqueur-flavored Syrup
150 ml water
1 tsp Chocolate liqueur
For the Mascarpone Mousse
200g de mascarpone cheese
200 ml whipping cream, chilled
200 ml Coconut cream (or milk)
50g coconut flakes
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
300 g fresh raspberries
50 g coconut flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F). Butter a sheet pan ( 40 x30cm) with parchment paper, then butter the paper. In a bowl, combine the flour, almond meal and cocoa powder. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
3. In a large bowl, cream egg yolks and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually, using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture. Gently, fold the whites into the yolk mixture until no streaks remain.
4. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cake is just set.
MAKE THE SYRUP
5. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, sugar and instant coffee. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the Chocolate liqueur.
6. Meanwhile, prepare a dish towel coated thoroughly in powdered sugar. When the cake is done, immediately invert it onto the towel. Remove the parchment paper. Using a brush, apply syrup on one side of the biscuit. and then starting at the narrow end, roll it up. Let it cool completely.
MAKE THE MASCARPONE MOUSSE
7. In a large bowl, combine whipping cream, mascarpone, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. With an electric mixer on high, beat until the mascarpone cream starts to seize and thicken.
8. Turn mixer speed to low and slowly drizzle in coconut cream, beating just until well combined. Add coconut flakes and strawberries.
9. Carefully unroll the cake. Spread the mascarpone mousse filling evenly over the entire surface. Roll the cake back up the same way it was rolled before.
10. Place cake roll on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
11. Sprinkle the roll with coconut flakes, and serve with fresh raspberries.
''The heart, like the stomach, wants a varied diet.''- Gustave Flaubert