Celebrate in style with this gorgeous chocolate-praline cake.
200g plain flour
3 Tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 pinch salt
7 Tbsp sour cream
250g bittersweet (dark) chocolate
150 ml water
1 Tbsp instant coffee powder
cocoa for dusting
For the Chocolate Ganache
400g bittersweet (dark) chocolate (85% cocoa)
650g whipping cream
75g powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Butter and flour a 23 (9 inch) springform pan. In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla sugar, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine the water, instant coffee, chocolate and the butter over low heat, stirring. Let cool.
Make the Sponge Cake
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with sour cream. Gradually, add chocolate-butter mixture. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Make the Chocolate Ganache
4. Finely chop the chocolate. In a saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat until just begins to boil. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Stir until smooth. Let stand, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. Let cool for 2 hours.
5. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and powdered sugar. Gradually stir in the cold chocolate cream.
6. Split the sponge cake into 2 layers horizontally. Spread the first layer cake with 2/3 of chocolate ganache. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Fill a pastry bag (fitted with a large splash) with 2/3 chocolate ganache. Set aside.
7. Finish with the final layer of cake. Spread the remaining chocolate cream over the top and sides of the cake. pipe chocolate ganache on the top of the cake. Sprinkle with cocoa.
'' Anything is good if it's made of chocolate.” ― Jo Brand