A classic mix of apples and cinnamon flavors, base with a layer of apples and cheese cream makes this dessert doubly delicious.
3 large eggs
105g (1/2 cup) sugar
90g (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Filling
4 large apples, divided
4 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp water
75g (1/2 cup) golden raisin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
345g (1 1/2 cups) cream cheese
4 tsp ricotta cheese
2 tsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp apricot glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Grease and line an 23 cm (9-inch) round cake pan. In a small bowl combine the flour and ground cinnamon.Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together with a hand-held electric until thick and mousse-like. Gently fold in the mixture flour. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until it springs back when lightly pressed. Cool on a wire rack.
MAKE THE FILLING
3. Peel, core and slice three of the apples and put them in a saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons of the honey and the water. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the raisin and cinnamon, stir well. Let cool.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the rest of honey (2 tablespoons), ricotta cheese and half of the lemon juice. Beat until the mixture is smooth.
5. Halve the cake horizontally place the bottom half on a board and drizzle with apple syrup. Spread with two-third of the cheese mixture, then top with the apple filling. Place the second layer on top. Spread remaining cheese mixture over top.
6. Core and slice the remaining apples, sprinkle with lemon juice. Decorate the edge of the cake. Brush the apples with apricot glaze.
7. Swirl the remaining cheese mixture over the top of the cake. Core and slice the remaining apple, sprinkle with lemon juice and use to decorate the edge of the cake; brush with apricot glaze.
"All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much." ― George Harrison